Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My experience at 2014 KindTree - Autism Rocks Friends and Family Camp

From Katie Clark...

My experience at 2014 KindTree - Autism Rocks Friends and Family Camp.


I went to the Kindtree Autism camp on my own for the first time. i always went with my mom and her ex Robert. well Robert did karaoke for the camp for 6 years and then stopped doing karaoke when he fell ill so we didn't go for 4 years. and then i went by myself to the 2014 kindtree camp.

i really enjoyed myself and did well on my own there. well my friend Mary who is president of kindtree and her friend Johanna helped set up my tent for me and get my stuff that was in a wheelbarrow. they were great help.

i moved to La Pine Oregon which is in Deshutes county in Central Oregon and don't get to see my friends most the time since moving, so it was nice to go to camp and see all my friends and hang out with some.

well i have High Function Autism and the camp is a way for me to be around others with Autism and to get to be myself. i enjoy the activity's such as the RavenTones, Frankie and Deano, and the talent show, and i really enjoyed the stim room or quiet room - a place where those with Autism can go and unwind, have quietness and stim and get calm. the food is good too, i specially like the lasagna .

well i got to really enjoy the camp after going for a while with my folks, seeing how the volunteers and staff how they accommodated people with Autism, how they could be them self and not be judged, how they had a place to camp that was made specially for them to be them self and be safe, how some of them were interacting with others when they may other wise not do as well at, or how some of them would do things like the talent show when that may other wise not be easy for them to do. they may not feel so comfortable doing a talent around a crowd or communicating to the crowd. it just felt like a place that was meant for me to be how i wanted to be and not be told other wise. 

i also enjoyed spending time with Mary, you know the president of kindtree who also has Autism. i went with her to the raventones, the talent show, and Frankie and Deano, and went with her where they were doing a fire and smores, and went to the water front with her as well. i would not be able to do those things with her since moving except at the camp. it was nice to spend time with her that i don't get most times. I just love the whole atmosphere of the camp and how they run it plus because of kindtree and Mary i have met lots of people and are friends with a lot of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment