Thursday, June 26, 2014

To Divulge my Autism...Or Not

This is an interesting question to me because it's one of those issues everyone feels different about. Do you tell the general public (co-workers, acquaintances, etc.) that you have an ASD? What if you do. In my case, it seems to create stumbling blocks, especially in college. (In my high school years and before Autism wasn't well-known about yet.) While working on my bachelor's degree, I enrolled in a music class. One day I tried to volunteer but the instructor rejected me because I couldn't handle it. In my German Courses it caused some disrespect from an instructor. The only reason I was able to finish my degree was because of two instructors who were helpful in accommodating me, as well as the director in the disabilities department who worked with me and saw me through to the end. This was the only good that came out of divulging my disability. The worst occurred without me mentioning my condition, all someone had to do was look at my rocking, etc. One day in a university class, I was pulled out of class, brought down the hall and was told my rocking, etc. was distracting and was told to sit to the side of the class. I also had my hands in my pants to keep warm, and they thought I was trying to masterbate.

In the case of employment my ex-boss caused me more anxiety due to being uneducated about my condition. Being employed by a family owned and operated business didn't help either. But I was constantly micro-managed, told I couldn't eat anything sweet because my boss thought it made me sleepy, I was yelled at, he even raised his hand to me once. Even another guy who was disabled quit because he couldn't take my boss' forcing him to be who he wasn't. I think from now on I will just say it won't affect my performance or let them get to know me as me.


 I guess the answer depends on how well you know the person, and how well they know you and how to work with. Some do choose to wait until the other person knows them (like for a friendship to be made, which is probably best because the person will respect you more best) for them and then tells them. Based on my experiences and what I have learned from others, I will only divulge with friends or others I know very well or just say my condition won't affect my outcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment