Monday, July 14, 2014

Kindtree Camp: The Ultimate Getaway

If there is one thing every Autistic individual should have, it's the chance to get away from the stigmatizing neuro-normal world to a retreat for just a day or two where they can just be themselves. Free to stim, socialize with others without having to worry about ridicule or having any kind of authority forced on them, eat food that suits their dietary needs, plenty of arts and crafts and other activities to ground them and exercise their neverending minds. Well weekend long is more than any Autist could ask for.

And that's exactly what Kindtree Productions has been providing for the past 18 years. The dream retreat on a beautiful coastal peninsula on the Oregon Coast.

An avid community volunteer realized that Autistics needed this dream and founded and held the first retreat in 1997 at the Community Center in Deadwood with a small group of people. It has grown to 80 volunteers and 150+ guests, including people from out of state. This year we have guests coming all the way from Norfolk, Virginia! How awesome is that! The camp was designed around the needs of and is only open to those on the Autism Spectrum (all ages and areas of the spectrum are welcome). Of course volunteers don't have to be Autistic. 

Zooming ahead to 2008, my close friend who is also Autistic, found the camp information one day and told me about it. We thought it would be fun to try it out so we sent in our registrations and the rest is long history! In a good way :) We were in for much more than we expected. And it has been an amazing experience!

Our enjoyment starts with checking in and getting our wheelbarrows on Thursday (or Friday) until we drive out of the parking lot on Sunday.

We arrive on Thursday or Friday and get checked in and go set up are camp spots. I have a cabin every year due to a health issue, and they are so nice with a modern wood cabiny feel, so I always look forward to setting up my bed. After that I get with my friend and hang out until the opening ceremony that opens our weekend of fun. If we come on Thursday, it is just an evening of dinner and relaxation before the big weekend starts. I may also join in if there is a game of kickball, cards or whatever going on!

We stand in a huge circle, all all 230 of us and introduce ourselves in our own unique way. Then the announcements and finally Ranger Brian comes out and reminds us about leaving the wildlife alone and not having any food in our camp spots. After the opening ceremony concludes, we all head to the line and wash hands for dinner the first of our non-forgettable meals. 

We serve gluten free, soy free options, with healthy food. Salad, Chicken or Egg Plant Parmesan, corn, garlic bread, desert, etc. and a variety of beverages to suit the general Autist.

After dinner and the Piñata, where we get a hand full of candy and stuff after it is broken by us all swinging at and hitting it, I generally use this time to stroll the camp and take in the fresh coastal air. And we all say hi to and Hug Kenny who comes down from Everett, WA and is a lot of people's favorite person there. He's a real teddy bear of an autist who loves and enjoys our camp.  Do some karaoke, hang out at the dance in the Gratke center and go to the campfire. This is always a blast because I so enjoy galivanting around the woods in the dark. I don't know why, I guess I just feel free out there! 

The campfire is ablaze with singing and music and s'mores!

Then it's off to bed and up again for coffee and chatting between 4 and 6am. We get in line for breakfast at about 8. We look forward to the veggie sausage and regular sausage, hash browns, fruit, frittatas, cereal, yogurt, etc. If I am volunteering in the kitchen, then I eat when I am not working.

At 10 am, let the activities and fun begin. I usually start with some crafts or karaoke. I enjoy making a terrarium, doing tie dye, water color, etc. My fiend got me doing it, and as long as I don't suck, it's actually a lot of fun! I'm more comfortable with it than I thought I would be. 

Then I go to the water to swim and/or walk out on the dock to take in the beauty of Siltcoos Lake. I have done canoeing and water exercise (even the Hokey Pokey, which I hadn't done in ages, let alone in the water!

Then we go back and hang out until lunch, which consists of soup, sandwiches, salad, tofu pâté, etc., then afterwards more activities. I get my face painted, watch the human car wash, partake in the group photo, etc. until we line up for Dinner. I may watch a little of the fashion show. There is also the talent show, which I still have yet to partake in. And then later, I get excited for T.R. Kelly because we get to watch her concert at the Chapel. She takes Saturday night away completely. Everyone looks forward to One Size Fits All! And it's a beautiful scene with the chapel all lit up, everyone with their glow toys and dancing and singing along. I also get to walk back to my cabin in the dark afterwards. Fun Fun!!!

Sunday morning starts with Brunch where we put out everything left over from the previous meals. And everything left over after that we get to take home.

After brunch we can do karaoke, treasure hunt, Qigong, maybe the self-advocacy workshop if they have it again this year. Eventually the time comes to form the circle and the closing ceremony to say goodbye until next year! Then we pack up get our food and go.

Other awesome things going on at the camp include the Steel Wool concert, Frankie and Dino concert, martial arts, movies with snacks, volleyball, massages, singing bowls, etc.

The environment of the peninsula surrounded by the lake is as fantastic as the camaraderie at this camp. An example was last year when I got the chills and don't know why. I had a cabin mate who stepped away from her client to make sure I was ok. Accompanied me where I needed to go, stayed with me conversing, distracting me from the chills until they went away, have me water, etc. When you combine these two aspects together with a sea of fun and activities and great food, who could ask for better than that!




1 comment: