Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A couple years ago I adopted a dog (named Kiddo) and wanted to share how much he has helped me. I thought maybe sharing could inspire someone else.
My dog Kiddo pretty much gave me a life, and vice versa- I gave him a life (was out of time at the pound). He opened my world to be able to do a lot of things that I previously had been to afraid to do or didn't want to do because of anxiety or being lonely. These days I can now go to all kinds of parks and go exploring to different places... I am not alone so I feel safer and in good company. I overcame my fear of driving on fast country roads too, because of Kiddo. This means I can drive to other towns now, when before I simply would NOT. I have gotten to see SO so many wonderful places in Oregon since I adopted Kiddo. And I think that going for drives in the country is one of my favorite things to do. We also go for bike rides and go swimming. Before I adopted him I would never go to a restraunt without a person with me, I know it sounds silly but maybe it was because I was anxious or nervous. When I first adopted Kiddo I would sit at outdoor tables at cafes with him and eat and have a nice time. Now when I come to a restraunt that doesn't have outdoor seating I can go inside and sit alone and be ok with that. I guess you could say he has given me more confidence.  I used to always avoid crossing the street at a crosswalk at a busy intersection because I was nervous about people looking at me. But with Kiddo I didn't mind as much walking across the street. Maybe because all the attention wouldn't be on just me. All these changes happened the first month I had him. After adopting Kiddo I guess I realized all the things I had missed out on. I love that boy so much. I feel we are kindered spirits. There are so many personality traits of his that I see in myself. Kind of like he is my son.

6 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that my apartment has weight and breed restrictions but my doctor wrote a letter to my apartment manager so that I could have him as a "service dog", since he helped me a lot. This does not require that your dog have special training. There are no limitations on what a "service dog" can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and inspiring story! Kiddo is such a pretty boy! I love that soft expression! Do you know his breed(s)? (I have a strange somewhat new fascination with dog breeds.)

    Animals add such sweetness to human lives, soften the edges, and are unconditional friends and companions. You can run your hands through their fur with impunity. Dogs give people an excuse to interact. Do more people talk to you when you're walking with him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. He is an American Staffordshire Terrier. In other words a short pit bull ;)
      Yes, when I am walking him a lot of people see his cute face and ask if they can pet him. Kiddo is such a ladie's man that he just soaks up the attention and looks sweetly at them. He approaches people in a gentle way

      Delete
  3. I agree with Mary-Minn, this is a really inspiring story. Thank you, Molly.

    ReplyDelete